gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57737 Posts in 5483 Topics by 439 Members - Latest Member: DudleyKin June 24, 2019, 01:42:43 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  Vanilla WoW
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Vanilla WoW  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
Vanilla WoW
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:18:01 AM »
I've been remembering how much I really enjoyed the "Old World" in WoW back when the level cap was 60 and the different classes weren't so cross-bred.

A friend of mine mentioned this to me:  https://en.nostalrius.org/

I think I'm going to try this out.  I've been unhappy with WoW ever since they homogenized the Hunter pets and started making each class less unique.  I had so much fun back in the "Old World" prior to the release of the Outlands, and I feel as though there's a chance I could still have the same degree of fun in that environment again.

I plan to play on their PvE server on the Alliance side.  Yes, I shall be recreating Ariyn the Dwarf Hunter, and I'll be getting my fun collection of different and unique pets.  They have Alterac Valley scheduled for release early next year in their PvE realm, which - If I remember right - Is where I got my super-fast wolf pet.  I'm so very excited about maybe being able to see my old, dear friend/pet Ookami again.  In retrospect, I am now completely certain that the moment I lost my interest in WoW is when Blizzard made my awesome fast wolf Ookami into a normal wolf, and made my Broken Tooth cat (Neko) into a 2.0 attack speed into a 1.0 attack speed.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
Re: Vanilla WoW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:29:25 AM »
Okay, I'm really having fun with this.  Time will tell if it's just a rush of nostalgia that will fade or not, but, it's really exciting to have all of the quirks that I enjoyed back again.  Plus, since the realm is basically static, once I get a mod set working, it will stay working!

It's a little funny because looking up things on the Internet is difficult - The usual WoW sites contain current data, not data from very old WoW versions, so quest locations, monster info, locations to find skills, etc, are all inaccurate.  There are a few places that have good data pertaining to "Vanilla" WoW, however:

http://db.vanillagaming.org/ Accurate, if clunky and lacking in detail, this is the best place to find stuff when you can't remember where it is.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070222054218/http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/index.shtml This is the oldest archive of the original Petopia site for Hunters.  This snapshot is right after Burning Crusade started, but most of the older data (besides attack speeds) is correct with regard to where to find pets and skills

If there are some PIF members that are interested in playing this, I'll break out the old website, cobble together a modset, and we can form PIF Silvergate over there.  Let me know!

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Shanni

• Assistant Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 6
  • Fear me! I will eat your carrots! Rawr!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:33:26 AM »
I'm in!

Flamethrowers are proof that somewhere, sometime, someone thought to themselves "You see those people over there? I sure would like to set them on fire, I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »
Okay, here's how to get it working.  It's actually pretty easy.

Step 1:  Go to https://en.nostalrius.org/ and click the "Join Us" on the top menu near the right had side.  Enter the username you want to use to log on (not your character name), enter your password twice, enter your email address, and hit the checkboxes for the Terms of Use and the "I'm not a robot" reCapcha box, then click "Register".  As of now, you don't even need to verify your email address.

Step 2: On the top menu near the right hand side, hover the mouse over "Getting Started" and then click the "Download Win Client" button.  (Assuming you're using Windows and not Mac!)

Step 3: When you reach the mega.nz site, don't click the "Download with MegaSync" or "Import to your cloud drive" option.  Instead, click "Download through your browser".  Depending on the web browser you are using, you'll get a different dialog box that asks if it's OK to save the file, or that "MegaNZ wants to store files on this device".  Click Yes or OK or Allow.  The file will download.  It's 5.2 GB so it'll take a while.

Step 4: Extract the file that gets downloaded.  It'll be named "Nostalrius-WoW-Classic.zip".  You can right-click it and extract, or double click and drag all the "WoW Classic" folder out.  Then open the folder and double click on "WoW-1.12.1-Setup.exe, click "Next" four times, then click "Install".  A WoW Classic icon will be created on your desktop.  Run it, and log in with your username and password you created in step 1.

I'm working on a modset currently.  It's a little challenging because mods designed for modern WoW don't work with this older version at all, so it's hard to track down stuff that works.  The good news is that once we get something that's stable and works well, we won't ever have to change it.  :-)

If you sign up, post your character names here!  So far, I've got Ariyn, and Shanni has made Innahs.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:13 AM »
I'm in as AncientOne

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/949wkplu5webbzk/AddOns.zip?dl=0

Here's a link to my current set of AddOns.  Geared more towards a hunter, as that's all I really play.  :-)

It's only semi-tested, but through various tweaks it's managed to get me to level 12.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
Ok I went to the windows download and it won't let me download says: The file you are trying to access no longer exists

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
I found a link under getting started

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
I'm officially hooked.  I only have a few quests left and then I can run Deadmines.  *grin*  This is awesome.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient