gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57687 Posts in 5479 Topics by 436 Members - Latest Member: Valentulus June 21, 2018, 06:09:58 AM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  Blizzard to re-release Classic WoW Server!
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Blizzard to re-release Classic WoW Server!  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • PIF Silvergate Homepage
Re: Blizzard to re-release Classic WoW Server!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
Well, "back in the day" we were mostly Alliance.  Maybe we should go Horde this time?

Certainly more nostalgia value if we go Alliance but a change of pace would be nice, too.

What do you think? 
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Luke

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Self Portrait
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
I think I'd like to do alliance again, just for the nostalgia. Maybe when the release date comes out, we should do a vote?

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:47 PM »
If they go by the official rules of classic WoW, you'll only get one or the other on any particular server, right?  But, odds are they'll have more than one, so maybe we could do both?

Of course, that would dilute our already severely limited numbers.  I can't imagine that we'd get more than ten or so of our old gang together, at least to start with.  I mean, we're definitely not going to be raiding Molten Core any time soon, heh.  Heck, even in the "good old days" we only fielded 20 or 25 people tops when we were running the MC2 Alliance. (remember that?)

Heck, maybe we'll start recruiting again, for the first time in... Well, seems like forever!
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Luke

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Self Portrait
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 04:17:45 AM »
I think we should choose one side to consolidate the people we have. 10 people coming back would be great, but definitely not enough to raid with. Hopefully some more people come out of the woodwork as more information comes out. I would be interested to see exactly what specific version of vanilla WoW they utilize and what, if any, modifications they do to it. I hope they implement newer methods of group finding, because that was the most tedious part of the game back then, in my opinion. MC would be pretty fun to do again, but I would not want to do a PUG of any of the old 40 person raids. I remember it was hard enough to do MC with the guild partnership, let alone 30 additional random people. Upper Blackrock Spire would be a good goal for now as we test the robustness of our membership.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
I agree, I'd prefer to do just one side versus both sides, just for the solidarity of the experience.

As far as version, it is widely accepted that the last version of WoW prior to the release of Burning Crusade was the "best".  (This is debatable of course, my opinion is the last version before they normalized pursuit (running) speeds of all Hunter pets was the best, I forgot which version that was)

I am guessing / assuming that they will not really be running a true Vanilla but approximating it with modern tech and a modern engine, and trying to get it as close as possible.  I hope, though, that they use the same LUA version so that older mods will still work, because it just won't be a realistic experience without being able to break out the old mod set!
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Luke

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Self Portrait
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
That modset was killer! The last update before TBC was the most balanced overall, but part of the charm of Vanilla WoW to me was the quirkiness of each class. I wasnít a big fan of Naxxramas either, although ZulíFarak was a lot of fun!

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »
The thing I loved about old WoW was that quirkiness you're talking about.

The classes now, even though they look different and have different names for their skills, any class can just about fill any role.  It's just a bit too homogenized, and the hard decisions you used to have to make that gave your character, well "character, are gone.  Shucks, you can spec just by toggling back and forth, etc.

Of course making all the pets more or less generic with very little differences really took the wind out of my sails.  I worked so hard to get the pets with the specific attributes I wanted, and when all their pursuit speeds and attack speeds were normalized and their skills became just a skill tree versus the cool way you used to have to go out and learn the skills and then teach them to your pet...  That was awesome.  Plus now there's no need to be dedicated to your pet because if you get a new pet it automatically levels up to your level.  Lame!
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Luke

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Self Portrait
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 06:41:42 AM »
The quirk factor was a boon to Vanilla WoW. I just started up my account again to try the newest expansion. Iíve inly been soloing with my Pally so far, but everything seems super easy. The spec and talents I choose donít really matter, just as long as I choose something. Maybe I havenít found the spec I like or maybe I should try a different class.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »
*shrug*  I don't know what to tell you.  I figure if I'm going to do anything in retail WoW I'd probably just want to start from level 1 and work my way up.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Luke

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Self Portrait
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 04:05:37 AM »
Probably the best way to go. They offer a free level boost with purchase of the latest expansion, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
Maybe.  The whole idea of a level boost throwing me up to some insane level and then having me wander around confused about what skills I need and where everything is doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, though.  I'd probably just do the grind.  (Especially since people tell me it's really fast to level up these days)
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 03:53:15 AM »
I will probably be leveling an alliance priest and I may be able to talk my boyfriend into joining the guild if we have one set up.

PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  Blizzard to re-release Classic WoW Server!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx