gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57737 Posts in 5483 Topics by 439 Members - Latest Member: DudleyKin June 24, 2019, 09:04:34 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  Shroud of the Avatar is live
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Shroud of the Avatar is live  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
Shroud of the Avatar is live
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
Well, the subject is misleading.  Shroud of the Avatar has been playable and "live" for a long time, but the world and characters are now persistent - No more world wipes.  So, now is a good time to give the game a try!  Not everything is fully polished just yet, but the game is definitely fun to play, and owning your own property (which is a big draw for many players of the game) isn't too difficult to do at the lower tiers.

I'd suggest giving it a try if you haven't already done so.  I think it's going to be pretty fun.  And it's hard to go wrong with a game designed by Lord British.  I even enjoyed the games he made that were generally considered failures such as Ultima 9 and Tabula Rasa.  I especially loved Tabula Rasa, which despite some launch issues and polish that needed to be applied, is still the coolest MMO/Shooter fusion I've seen.

Anyhow - Check out Shroud of the Avatar.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline abner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 5
  • abner
    • Lost in the Details
Re: Shroud of the Avatar is live
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 03:30:22 AM »
I haven't had time to look in a really long time, back when you couldn't do much.  I'll give it a try this weekend maybe.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:22:29 AM »
It's definitely fun.  As of right now, only one of the initial three primary quests, the "Love" one, is actually fully fleshed out, so playing a ranger type character is best to get a good feel for how the game works.  The other two are playable, but in a much rougher state development wise.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Banosa

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
  • Herro its me!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »

Dear Former Guildmates:

I concur with Kai and he has put a great deal of work into the game. 

If you are looking to get your feet wet, I have established an Inn/Chapter House of Pif (with Kai's blessing) in a player town called Beran's Reach just outside of Britanny one of the main player hubs.  If you need a place to stay or base of operations while you see if you like the world.

Look forward to seeing you all.  Also on a side note, I will be returning to WoW to see how the game has changed prior to the month's end.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »
Shroud of the Avatar is really starting to get fun.  The community in Beran's Reach is really outstanding, and the awesome place that (B)Anosa has put together is really impressive.  He's given an entire floor of his Inn to PIF Silvergate to use.  (The place is even called The Silvergate Inn!)

I'd really and dearly love to be able to play with my old PIF companions in SotA, and it's finally getting to the point that it's something worth showing off.  It's truly amazing what people have been able to do in the game, the level of customization is simply astounding.  Moreover, it's got the most wonderful community of players that I've ever seen.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Banosa

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
  • Herro its me!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 04:05:44 AM »
Shroud of the Avatar is really starting to get fun.  The community in Beran's Reach is really outstanding, and the awesome place that (B)Anosa has put together is really impressive.  He's given an entire floor of his Inn to PIF Silvergate to use.  (The place is even called The Silvergate Inn!)

I'd really and dearly love to be able to play with my old PIF companions in SotA, and it's finally getting to the point that it's something worth showing off.  It's truly amazing what people have been able to do in the game, the level of customization is simply astounding.  Moreover, it's got the most wonderful community of players that I've ever seen.

sometimes seeing is believing, I miss the whole gang too...

We have a great view!

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:18:28 AM »
Great pics, Anosa!

On Sunday, I got to relax and spend some time in-game putting together the guild hall for PIF Silvergate, and my own personal residence, which is actually pretty awesome.  The next time I can get in-game I'll get some screenshots to show you guys.

Shanni was in game yesterday, too.  She had fun, but she said that she had a lot to learn.  So do I; The game isn't simple by any means.  That's why I like it so much.  It's going to be able to hold my attention for years to come because of it's complexity.  The game doesn't treat players like children.  You get a little initial hand holding, and there are some help items that appear the first time (for example) you interact with a crafting station, but besides that it expects the player to figure things out - And man, there's a lot to figure out.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:09:45 AM »
So, I haven't worked less than a 12 hour day (and in most cases more) this week, so I haven't really had a chance to play SotA except for maybe ten minutes or so.  But with any degree of luck, I'll get plenty of time this weekend if anyone wants to join me.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Arrian

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • There's sure to be another!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:20 PM »
I patched up, and will probably pop in until the power goes out here in Seattle.  We'll see.

I tried the game for a little bit. I dunno, I was playing in solo mode, and it really didn't grab me.  Of course, I started as a caster/healer, and apparently that path is not functioning yet in terms of the storyline quest, and you can only have one character at the moment, and I have enough time into this first one that I really don't want to start completely over.  I mean, what *are* they thinking, only letting us play one character at a time?

Anywho, what do I need to set somebody as  friend, so I can play in friends-only mode?

Snowblossom
In blackest day or brightest night
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
I normally just stay in full online mode when I play unless I specifically want to just hang out with friends.

The cool thing is that while it does take a while, you can pretty much become good at almost everything.  I think they'll limit the number of crafting skills you can master, but I'm reasonably confident that you can eventually master all weapon, armor, and spell circles.  Some stuff doesn't work well with other stuff obviously, but you can eventually "change your spec" just by changing your gear and switching to a new combat deck. 

Oddly enough I'm kind of liking the "single character" approach.  Normally I have severe alt-itis, but not this time.

Just in and of itself, playing in solo mode with nobody around, I wouldn't be horribly happy with the game.  But the awesome community that has sprung up, that's what impresses me.  The people in the town that I settled in, called Beran's Reach, are simply awesome.  The game gives players who want to put in the time the ability to essentially build their own cities and craft their own communities.  It's a truly awesome thing, it really is.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Banosa

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
  • Herro its me!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 04:34:41 AM »
I patched up, and will probably pop in until the power goes out here in Seattle.  We'll see.

I tried the game for a little bit. I dunno, I was playing in solo mode, and it really didn't grab me.  Of course, I started as a caster/healer, and apparently that path is not functioning yet in terms of the storyline quest, and you can only have one character at the moment, and I have enough time into this first one that I really don't want to start completely over.  I mean, what *are* they thinking, only letting us play one character at a time?

Anywho, what do I need to set somebody as  friend, so I can play in friends-only mode?

Hey Snow! whts your ingame name, ill be on this weekend and can show you around.  Solomode actually is not a fun mode, friends only and multiplayer are the best!

Snowblossom

Offline Arrian

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Uh...my name is Snowblossom.  Now and forever ;)

I wandered around quite a bit today, using the ghost method to get through passes from Ardoris, and ended up in Resolute and Highvale, I will try and find Beran's Reach tomorrow.  Didn't seem to make much difference being in full online mode.  I'm not much of a chatterer, and really most of the zones I was in were pretty empty.

Where outside of Brittany is Beran's, exactly? N, S, E, W?

Snow

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
My guide for getting around is www.sotamap.com.  If you type in Beran's Reach into the search it'll jump right to it.  Beran's Reach is almost exactly due north of Brittany Central, although when you get close you need to squeak across a river and up a small hill.  It's only maybe... thirty seconds, maybe a minute's run, I think?

The deal with SotA is that while there's thousands of players on at any given time, the world is kind of huge.  So, it's not terribly likely that you'll randomly come across someone.  Plus, the online multiplayer mode is selective, you don't always necessarily see everyone that's around you.  I don't know exactly how the algorithm works, but it seems to do pretty good with regard to deciding who you see and who you don't.  You're right though - There is, except at an intentional gathering for an event of some sort, generally never going to be a big group of people in one place.

Nevertheless I'm having huge fun.  :-)
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Arrian

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »
Ooh, I didn't know that SOTAmap showed the player-run towns. That's pretty awesome.

BTDubs, that is NOT just outside Brittany, it's almost all the way to the north coast of the continent.  Just sayin.

Just a question - what do you find so intriguing about the game?  Honestly, it seems a little bog-standard, circa 5 years ago tech-wise.  I don't think it has a handle on the land-rush thing either, I mean it's just early adopters in now, and every freaking lot is taken in the places you would want to port to (since you can hold multiple lots, travel is a pain, and you can port to your own properties.  Dumb, dumb design, imo.)

Snow

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 04:22:12 PM »
I'm uncertain of what "BTDubs" means.  Ah.  It's slang for by the way.  Got it.  Yeah, it's an easy run from Beran's Reach to Brittany.  It does cover some ground to be sure, but it's a straight run without having to go through any passes or navigate anything weird.  It only takes a minute to make the run as I recall.

As far as what I like about the game - I really enjoy the housing and player towns.  Seeing the various communities come together and build amazing things far beyond what the developers of the game even intended to be possible is really awesome.  The tools for building towns and the impetus for people to work together is really strong, and it's something that I've really been missing in my gaming as of late.

You can port to your bind point with a recall scroll, and you can port to any player you want that's on your friends list with a teleport scroll, and both are fairly easy to craft/buy, so I don't have too much trouble with navigation.  Of course when I packed up and moved my 1500 pounds worth of crap from one location to another, that took a while to hoof, but it still wasn't that bad.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient