gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57733 Posts in 5481 Topics by 438 Members - Latest Member: Redbeard January 22, 2019, 03:58:20 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  Nostralius Vanilla WoW Server
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nostralius Vanilla WoW Server  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
Nostralius Vanilla WoW Server
« on: December 27, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
I and a few of our members have been having some good fun playing on the Nostralius "Vanilla WoW" PvE server lately.  We've enjoyed it enough that we've decided to create an "official" PIF Silvergate presence on the server and form a guild.  It's a blast being able to relive the game the way it used to be back when PIF was doing 40 man raids.  (Although, none of us are doing raids right now, nobody even hit 60 yet.  As of this writing, I think the highest levels 40?)

I know some of us would rather play Retail, and that many of us are tired of WoW altogether, but it's truly been a fun experience to play.  I encourage you guys to come and take a look.  There's some details about how to connect and download the client over here at this thread if you want to check it out.

I've also decided to forgo our usual strict application process and I'm letting anyone invite new PIF Silvergate members into the guild on Nostralius.  Just direct any new members to www.wowguild.com so that they can see what we're about.  I recommend just inviting people that you've grouped with who seem to be the right fit - Don't just spam invites, make sure they are the sort of people that we want, and the sort that would be happy in our environment.  For example, I had the opportunity to recruit four people today that were interested in joining, but when I explained that we have a no profanity policy, they changed their minds.  :-)

The real question is, in three months or so when we're all capped at level 60, do we want to try raiding again?  I might want to give it a try just for the nostalgia, but I don't think I want to dive in to a hardcore raiding schedule again.  What do you guys think?
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
Re: Nostralius Vanilla WoW Server
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 08:05:01 AM »
I am having a blast. It is so refreshing to play the game as it was originally. Gowever I am currently having computer difficulties. It died. I am on an old XP system that will not play the game. I will rejoin you when I can.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:17:09 AM »
I would be interested in raiding, I have never played just plain wow before so this is new for me and I haven't done a 40 man raid so that will be a new experience for me

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »
@Lark: Well, if we're going to raid, it'll probably be working with other groups, because unless we significantly increase in size (which I'm not planning on) we'll never be able to field a 40 man team.  :-)  I'd be willing to do it to experience it once more, but I'm not sure that I'll be wanting to lock in to a raid grind again.  I was the RL for most of our tenure back when we were doing the "MC2 Alliance" and man, that's not really an experience I feel particularly nostalgic for, heh.

@A1:  Fortunately, Vanilla WoW has virtually no system requirements at all.  I was able to play Vanilla WoW with 512 GB of RAM and a video card that barely knew the meaning of "3D", so we can probably get you working.  I'll send you a PM, we'll get this figured out.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline abner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 5
  • abner
    • Lost in the Details
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:17 PM »
This sounds interesting....  I'll poke around when I can find the time.

Currently have time for just 1 game and that's SWTOR until at least I can complete my current class story missions.

I'm also a little confused, Kailef -- what is it about this vanilla version of WoW that you find more appealing than the version you stopped playing a few years ago?

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »
I really loved WoW prior to Burning Crusade.  I miss the complexity and diversity between classes.  I especially miss the greater degree of challenge involved in playing the game in general.  My personal favorite class, the hunter, doesn't even feel vaguely like it used to feel.  You can switch pets at will, you don't have ammo, you don't have mana, all pets are the same three general archetypes and lack diversity - It's long list of things, some extremely minor to the point that they are barely worth mentioning, and some jarring changes like all pets having a 2.0 attack speed.  But there are hundreds of "little things" that in the end all add up to WoW being "dumbed down".  I want it to be challenging and complex and interesting.  I want certain classes to have distinct advantages over others, rather than the homogenized morass of "sameness" where every character can basically do everything and switch specs at will.

I'd resigned myself to the belief that the WoW I enjoyed when playing with PIF for the first few years was permanently unavailable.  It is with great happiness that I can say that's no longer true.  These guys on Nostralius have really put together an environment that feels like classic World of Warcraft.  While there are a few NPC's out there that don't have all of their flavor text, that's virtually the only hiccup I've seen, and I'm really having a blast.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
I've been getting home so late on weekdays that everybody is already offline by the time I arrive.  :-/  I am doing crafting on a serious level for the first time ever, which is actually kind of fun.  Albeit expensive.  Tailoring and Enchanting, while somewhat complementary to each other, are really not well suited to making money (quite the opposite) until you master them and can sell your creations.

Has everyone else been enjoying themselves so far?  I know things are a little quiet with Innahs being out of town and A1 having computer problems...
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »
I have been well, Amoxi has been back she was out of town for 16 days i think it might have been 14. I have created a few alts but yeah I haven't been making much money but hoping when I get it lvled it will be better

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 04:07:01 AM »
I have been using crafting, Lw and cloth, because my characters wear that. I have got to a point that right now my crafted is better than I can find. I know that will change as I level but then I will be able to start using the AH to sell.

I was really enjoying the game and can't wait to get back in. See you all soon.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 04:50:17 AM »
Great to see you back in-game, A1!
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
Sorry I haven't been on lately, I have been having fun with sims 4. I will try to get on tomorrow sometime

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »
No problem - You should play what you find fun!
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »
I need someone to do me a favor, I will be in the vanilla game till about 4PM eastern today. Would someone please invite my alt Ancientruil into the guild.

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 01:22:52 AM »
Thank you Shanni.

Offline Larknight

• PIF Templar
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
The post from ALiegoum I can't understand at all. I am not hitting any links on it until I know what it is just fyi

PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  Nostralius Vanilla WoW Server

gfxgfx
gfx gfx