gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57737 Posts in 5483 Topics by 439 Members - Latest Member: DudleyKin June 24, 2019, 01:53:37 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  It takes a villiage
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: It takes a villiage  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Stalephreak

• ZFMC-PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
It takes a villiage
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:26:17 AM »
In an attempt to not raise a Teddle, I'm going to be homeschooling my oldest.  I have to get him used to the idea of talking with a headset, and I can't think of a better way than in a gaming community.  His favorite game is Castle Crashers, but he has a litany of other games, and picks them up well.   So who wants to partake in the corruption of my son?  For sake of easy use, I'll probably do most of this on Skype until he's at a level where he can deal with the finer nuances of TS.  Vent is probably just a touch over his head, as even I have to RTFM for it every so often (and nobody's really on it when I am).
Nintendo 3DS friend code:  0645-5900-3745

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
Re: It takes a villiage
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
How old is your oldest?  For that matter, what is "Castle Crashers"?

I've seen some truly mixed results with home schooling.  I was home schooled for my entire life except for my senior year of high school.  I turned out OK!  (this may be an exaggeration)

At the same time, I've seen home schooling devolve into an unmitigated disaster of epic proportions depending on the child and teacher and the environment in general.   I don't mean to only say that if we have a "dumb kid" or a "parent who's bad at teaching" that things will go bad.  There are so many factors involved, you can have a brilliant child and a brilliant parent teaching (likely the case here) and you can still have some bad results.  (Or great results!)

One of the problems that develops is that a child who has been heavily home schooled may end up using parenthesis more often than is necessary.  (I don't think this is true.  I think the evidence is pure Sophism.  I am only sampling from a single test candidate.)  Wait, never mind this paragraph, I don't think it has any bearing on the facts.

Anyhow, I'm sure that this ghost town of a forum will at least yield a bit of a response.

Right, guys?

Right?  <blink>
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:58:24 AM »
Home schooling can be great or horrible. My thoughts are to find a local home school organization. They usually have a calendar of activities you and your child can join. This will help him with his social interaction with other children his age. I wish you the best of luck.

As far as gaming I would love to help. However because of my health I cannot maintain any type of schedule. I am sorry.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Stalephreak

• ZFMC-PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:04:47 AM »
Trust me, we have a lot of concerns.  Here's a bit of  the background for anybody curious...

I have a bachelors in education, with 3 years formal classroom experience as a teacher.  I've had to deal with all those nifty individualized education plans, I've had to deal with the prima dona who was above the rules because her daddy was a political figure, and sadly, I've even had students who were killed in the middle of the year. 

The socialization aspect is a concern, and I that weighs heavily in my decision, as I believe that a firm understanding of applied psychology is important to success in the workforce.  I think that is a greater factor of success than IQ in many cases.  It prevents doors from slamming in your face.  Even in rejection, it's typically just a "thanks, but no" when done gracefully.  I want to get my kids into racing again. Heck, even I want to get back into that. 

Accreditation is also important to me.  My oldest is going to be actually working with a school district that is about 50 miles south of me.  It's more akin to distance learning offered by many colleges, rather than the traditional home-school.  The last school district that I taught in had experimented with this with great success.  Often, the students that were doing this used their free time to transition into the workforce.  The guy who performed my wedding went through this as well, and runs a fairly successful IT repair/installation business in that tiny town. 

To be honest, the largest reason we want to do this is because I want my child to be able to fail.  That was easily the largest obstacle teachers faced when I was in the classroom, and teachers still complain about the "no child left behind" mentality.  I have nothing against teachers.  PIF is quiet, but seems to be mostly thinking persons, which is a nice change of pace. 

Animouse will have to familiarize us with Castle Crashers, as I've never played.

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:15:19 AM »
I think you have your head in the right place. As a former teacher you will do well. I was very fortunate. My family was catholic and we went to catholic schools. I got a very good education. My senior class was in the upper 25th percentile of the nation on the SAT. If you decide to not home school that should be an option. They don't force religion down the student's throat, just education.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Shanni

• Assistant Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 6
  • Fear me! I will eat your carrots! Rawr!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
I homeschooled my (only) kid for a bit... and it was a complete disaster. There were different factors in my case, but it boiled down to my daughter and I not working well together. Patience is a major necessity, and I am generally at 0.  She started highschool this past year (9th grade) and had a really REALLY difficult time juggling school work and friendships... but we're hoping that next year will be WAY better.

My suggestions...

Make sure that you set up clear boundaries. School time/family time. Teacher/Parent.
Teach him time management. Maybe give him projects with due dates and show him how to break it down into manageable parts, and have consequences if its not done in time.
Socialize! Not just him... but you. It can make you a bit crazy when you only have a kid to talk to during the day.

It sounds like you pretty much know the deal. How old is your son? I would be more than willing to help out on skype... but my time isn't always easily scheduled. But I'm willing to try!

Flamethrowers are proof that somewhere, sometime, someone thought to themselves "You see those people over there? I sure would like to set them on fire, I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Offline Stalephreak

• ZFMC-PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »
He's 5, 6 in September.  Gaming with him is a bit rough, and we're still waiting on his netbook to come in (Yes, I'm nerfing his gaming intentionally.  He can play "real" games when he can build his own box.)  Large challenge with him right now is understanding good gaming manners.  We're trying to curb his random AFK habit.  It's not as bad as it sounds.  Right now, he's never heard the other guys, so he doesn't quite grasp that they're not AIs.  Worse is when he controls multiple characters.  (although he did beat parts of the campaign that way, and don't get me started on his version of New Super Mario  Bros.  Watching a 3 year old control 4 players at once was nuts.)

Your suggestions are definitely good, and you're right.  We're still not convinced that homeschool will be right for my youngest, as he tends to set his own rules when it comes to showing his hand.  I didn't know my youngest could read until we were watching motoGP one day, and he started rattling off the sponsors on the helmets.  He likes to play dumb, to the point where we're wondering if he's mildly autistic.  My oldest is used to having performance standards set that he must meet, and responds well to correction.  (Punching comes to mind.  It was interesting teaching him the proper part of the fist to punch with, but he's got it now.)

My motivation is that our progeny is an utter failure unless they outperform us.  If I'm not hard on them, how will they ever have a chance of beating me mentally and physically?  I can only hope they don't try going into music.  I don't want them to resemble THIS GUY: 

On your last point, I can only chuckle, and reflect on my line of work.  I deal with wide variety of stupid on a routine basis.  cusstumors....  Had one guy crash a vehicle, had another manage to get a refund by claiming she was unable to understand that when she used an item that we couldn't take it back (hitch components are like underwear, you can't return them once worn.).  Had one guy decide the best way to get product was to yell and threaten me when there was NO way he could've made it to his next fuel depot.  (The curse of alternative fuels...)  You guys, as rare as it is, are my sanity break, and I can certainly sympathize.  Time is quite the precious commodity.

Well, off to the backs of my eyelids...

Offline Animouse03

• ZFMC-PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
Okay I suppose I should chime in now? Right...

Okay, first thing: Castle Crashers. It's a game on Steam. Up to four players. The Steam Store describes it as: "Hack, slash, and smash your way to victory in this award winning 2D arcade adventure from The Behemoth!" Basically you play one of four knights who are trying to save the princesses (one princess for each knight). You can play single player and go through the story, play with multiple people through the story or battle against your friends. Or you can play online with others (either in story mode or battle mode). It's actually pretty fun and simple and my kid looooves it.

Now, on to homeschooling. I was home schooled for 5th-7th grade and then the half of 9th till I graduated, my brother from 4th till he graduated and my other three siblings have never gone to public school. Needless to say I've been in the home schooling circle a while. And it's true that it can be done...well...badly....
I've seen some people who will seriously go to a carnival all day and call that homework. Yeah....scary....I don't want to do that. And yes, it has everything to do with the kid and how they work best. I worked much better on my own than I did at public school. But then I look at my three younger siblings and they are......socially  awkward. To say the least. Which is why this online school program seems like it might be the best of both worlds. They go on field trips every now and then so he'll be able to hang out with kids his age at least a little.

PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  It takes a villiage

gfxgfx
gfx gfx