gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

World of Warcraft Classic has launched, and PIF Silvergate members are encouraged to join us on the Atiesh server for a blast from the past where we relive old adventures and meet new friends!

gfx gfx
gfx
57804 Posts in 5489 Topics by 451 Members - Latest Member: crabmilk January 25, 2020, 07:07:45 AM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  Audiobooks
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
Audiobooks
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
Do any of you guys ever listen to audiobooks?
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Shanni

• Assistant Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 6
  • Fear me! I will eat your carrots! Rawr!
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
I don't, but I happen to know this super awesome guy who has a super awesome radio voice and has been narrating some short stories for some guy. They sound pretty awesome. :) 

Flamethrowers are proof that somewhere, sometime, someone thought to themselves "You see those people over there? I sure would like to set them on fire, I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:32:45 AM »
I prefer to sit down in my comfy chair and dismiss the world while I read. Speaking of reading I just read the first 9 books of the Recluse Saga last week and throughly enjoyed them. What do you guys read?

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »
I'm currently on book two of  Brandon Sanderson's "The Stormlight Archive".  It's really quite good!  Book three isn't out yet and probably won't be for quite some time, so I'm trying to go slowly.  It's hard, I look forward to reading it every spare moment I have.  (Not that I have many spare moments)
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Larknight

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
I love to read and listen. I especially make it a point to get an audio book before heading to Utah,a 3 hour drive one way, which I do about every 6 weeks or less. I have listened to Rick Riordin, Anita Stansfield, Brandon Mull and some others that I can't think of on the top of my head, these allergies or cold is making it hard to think.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »
I do audiobooks quite often because I spend time in my car moving between clients.  My biggest client that I visit most often is about forty-five minutes drive time from my house, so I can get a good hour and a half of audiobook in on that particular trip.

I find that a good narrator can take an average book and make it great, but a poor narrator can take a great book and make it average.  (Or even awful, if the narrator is bad enough, heh...)

I am doing some narration work for Shroud of the Avatar - To date I've only done one 5 minute story and a 30 minute story, and I have no formal training, but I've gotten good feedback from the members of The Poet's Circle.   (The Poet's Circle is a team of musicians, storytellers, and voice actors who are producing all of the music and voices for Shroud of the Avatar)

If you want to listen and critique it (especially if you listen to Audiobooks often) you can find my material at http://soundcloud.com/kailef

I'll be adding more as time goes on.  The stuff that's there now is essentially my first attempt at this.  I didn't keep the voices quite consistent on the 30 minute story, but I'm going to re-record it and do a better job.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 02:12:56 AM »
Thats neat Kai. I am just starting "The Obsidian Trilogy" by Mercedes Lacky and James Mallory. It is starting very good.

I don't have much need for driving so I don't really have a reason to get audio books.

My imagination adds so much to reading that I prefer to read.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Larknight

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:11:51 AM »
Yeah Kai, it is good.

Offline abner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 5
  • abner
    • Lost in the Details
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Well done, Kailef!

I know it's only partly... maybe sideways-related to the original topic, since we don't exactly have any audio books but we DO have some favorite story-telling CDs that we keep in the cars.

Brother Donald
Here's a sample:
Here's his website from whence said CDs can be purchased:  http://www.boosm.org/monks/bro_donald.php

PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  Audiobooks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx