gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57737 Posts in 5483 Topics by 439 Members - Latest Member: DudleyKin June 24, 2019, 07:51:20 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  NEWS: Shroud of the Avatar - 3 Month Demo
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: NEWS: Shroud of the Avatar - 3 Month Demo  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
NEWS: Shroud of the Avatar - 3 Month Demo
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:33:49 AM »
Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar game recently released a gameplay demo of their progress.  After a mere three months of development, I've got to say it looks pretty incredible.  Take a look, tell me what you think.

Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Silverbranch

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 6
  • Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
Re: NEWS: Shroud of the Avatar - 3 Month Demo
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »
Wow, pretty sweet for only 3 months in! Refresh my memory, is this intended to be MMO or Single player RPG? (I do love single player ones too)

Shanni's Minion and personal GPS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
It will, interestingly, be both.  It will have a completely offline mode where you never interact with anyone.  That character will be locally stored.  There will also be an online mode.  The online mode has a character that's stored on the game server, and it can be played several ways which you can change whenever you choose, ranging from basically solo play to an MMO-like environment:

• You can play your online character in "solo" mode, where you never see another player.  You can still interact with vendors that other players have set up, etc - The world itself is still interactive - But you never see anyone.

• You can play in "friends only" or "guild only" mode (one, the other, or both) where only people whom you have on your friends / in your guild list are visible to you.  The world is still persistent, but you only interact with those you specifically choose to interact with.

• You can also play in "full online" mode where you see all your friends and guildmates, and you also see other players who are "relevant" to you.  Such as, people who are similar in level to you, people who are working the same quest as you, people who have items for sale that are relevant to your class and level, etc.  (although the "quest" concept is very much not like WoW and other MMOs)

Overall, it's an awesome concept that I'm really looking forward to.  One can essentially experience the game as though one were on a private server for just them and their friends or their guild one wanted, which is awesome.

The development team (headed by Richard Garriott AKA Lord British) is IMMENSELY interactive with the fan base, you can communicate with them directly in regularly scheduled video "hangouts" and through the message boards and their IRC chat room.  It's going to be a game designed for the players - You can, as an individual, truly have an impact on how the game grows by participating in the opportunities to interact with the devs.  It's really a breath of fresh air.  None of this "gee, I wonder how the game is going to turn out when it gets released" nonsense.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 01:33:49 AM »
That is very nice so far. Is there only one server, I might give it a try.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:14:12 AM »
The working concept so far is that there will only be one server.  The entire population will be able to be on just one server at the same time because of the filtering system - Even if you are in "full online mode", you will only directly interact with and see people on your friends list, in your guild, and those who the system identifies as "relevant".  Honestly I may very well never go into full online mode, and just play with friends and guildmates, except on the rare occasion.  Hard to say at this stage, though, as the game is still in flux as it is being made.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Silverbranch

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 6
  • Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »
That's a VERY interesting answer. I really like these multiple online modes, particularly the middle one! *grins*

Shanni's Minion and personal GPS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
I know.  In general, I'm very excited.  All of the games Lord British has done have been very deep and involved, with lots more to do than just run around and kill things.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Vikapolyak

NEWS Shroud of the Avatar 3 Month
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:31 PM »
Maybe also list method and cost of shipping here as well so we can get an idea before we get the box?

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
Depends where "here" is, I think.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF News  |  NEWS: Shroud of the Avatar - 3 Month Demo

gfxgfx
gfx gfx