gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

World of Warcraft Classic has launched, and PIF Silvergate members are encouraged to join us on the Atiesh server for a blast from the past where we relive old adventures and meet new friends!

gfx gfx
gfx
57817 Posts in 5490 Topics by 451 Members - Latest Member: crabmilk October 26, 2020, 05:06:00 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  Kailef's side project: Sanctum II BBS
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Kailef's side project: Sanctum II BBS  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
  • Guildmaster of PIF Silvergate
    • Kailef's Personal Homepage
Kailef's side project: Sanctum II BBS
« on: June 19, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
Any of you guys ever call dialup BBS systems back in "the day"?  Play door games, post messages, look at ANSI graphics, that sort of thing?

Well, as it happens, I used to run a BBS when I was very young.  Later, I ran a Telnet based BBS until a catastrophic equipment failure brought it offline permanently.  I've re-launched Sanctum II BBS, however.  It's still got a nifty old-style frames based website that you can visit at http://www.sanctumbbs.com

You can either click the "Telnet to Sanctum II" link to connect using a cool web-based Telnet client, or download and run SyncTerm.  I've repackaged the SyncTerm installer so that it automatically has the address for Sanctum II programmed in to it's phonebook.

Why would you want to do this?  Well, for one, it's pretty cool and nostalgic if you've done this sort of thing in the past.  Even if you haven't it's still still fun to play some of these older ANSI text based games.  I especially like DoorMUD, LORE and Solar Realms Elite, but all of the games I've got up there are fun in their own way and definitely way.

Try it out!
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Silverbranch

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 6
  • Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
Re: Kailef's side project: Sanctum II BBS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
Hmm. I'm not sure if I ever ended up doing much BBS based MUDs... I did play some text-based RPG's but they were not multi-user. At this point everything seems to be about finding time. I can promise to keep it in mind, but I can't promise much more than that right now! *grins*

Shanni's Minion and personal GPS

Offline Shanni

• Assistant Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 6
  • Fear me! I will eat your carrots! Rawr!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
YOU SHALL ALL TREMBLE FROM FEAR AS "SHANNINATOR" (goblin thief extraordinaire) STEALTHILY MOVES THROUGH YOUR HOMES AND STEALS YOUR COOKIES AND MILK!!!!!

RAWR!

Also, I like the Doormud game. :) Yay!

Flamethrowers are proof that somewhere, sometime, someone thought to themselves "You see those people over there? I sure would like to set them on fire, I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
It's actually pretty fun.  My favorite is LORE, because it very closely resembles Ultima 5 with regard to how it works, and I really enjoyed Ultima 5.

BBSing is a lost art, these days.  Some older BBS packages have been retrofitted by enterprising end users so that they can be accessed over the Internet via Telnet, despite still running in a 16 bit DOS environment.  They look and behave (albeit at a faster transfer rate) just like the modem dialup BBSs of old.  BBS systems were quite literally the first multiplayer online gaming that there ever was.  While rather anachronistic, I still enjoy them quite a bit, and it's fun to be running one again.

I'm running Mystic, which is a pretty old package that is (incredibly) still supported and updated by the original author.  With very few exceptions, BBS software development is halted, and most BBS programs are "abandonware" at this point.
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »
Hey, Snowblossom, I see you tried it out.  What did you think?  Lore is still my favorite out of all the games, but they're all good in their own way.  (Sometimes their own rustic, antiquated way, but still)
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Arrian

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • There's sure to be another!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
It's definitely a blast from the past.  I kinda liked the DoorMUD, all texty and stuff.  And very newbie-friendly.

I just tried the LoreMUD on your advice, it's a lot less newbie-friendly - I couldn't even figure out how to wield my weapon, I had to go look up a YouTube of someone starting the game AND HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM....it's obviously not intuitive to have to go to character view to [R]eady your weapon, especially since most of the keys aren't used, should be relatively trivial to fix that. Fighting the interface is not good nostalgia <g>.

Anyhow, so, having pissed most of my money away on a bow, not realizing that I was supposed to get a regular weapon too, I randomly walked into a pile of orcs and was just about insta-killed.  Then, I couldn't figure out how to QUIT for god's sake.  Eventually, I found an inn, quit out, and just suicided.  And then I can't play again until the next day? Lame, lame, lame.

Can you tell I wasn't impressed?  It's not at all Ultima 5, its more a Roguelike or NetHack or Dwarf Fortress, given that it's text instead of graphics. Although, just for old time's sake I'm sure I will try again...TOMORROW. <grrrr>.

All in all, the old stuff is fun in its own way.  Playing modern MMO's is so time intensive - it's nice to have a little texty thing you can just kill a few minutes at.

OTOH I'm really digging FINALLY having a freaking IOUN STONE orbiting my head in Neverwinter, I've always wanted to see that since I first read about them and imagined them forty years ago.  It's a thing of beauty, surpassing my imagination, really.

Snow
In blackest day or brightest night
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda

Offline Arrian

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • There's sure to be another!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
Oh, and you need to fix the brown "may" in shanninator's front yard.  It may be a "mat", or, it may not.  <snicker>

Snow
In blackest day or brightest night
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda

Offline Shanni

• Assistant Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 6
  • Fear me! I will eat your carrots! Rawr!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
*sigh* Landords, I tell ya... you can't count on them to fix anything!!!!  :)

How many girls can say their husbands have built them a house in a text based game? Hmm? :D

Also, beware of my dungeon. I keep... "things" down there. >.>   

Flamethrowers are proof that somewhere, sometime, someone thought to themselves "You see those people over there? I sure would like to set them on fire, I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 05:37:25 AM »
....I fixed the "mat".

*snickers to himself*
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Random fact:  Sanctum II BBS is the only BBS in the entire world that has a Telnet link to Richard Garriott's "Shrould of the Avatar" IRC chat right on the main menu.

I also now have a pretty cool telnet client built right in to the website, you just click the "Telnet to Sanctum II" link and it opens a page with a web-based telnet window right in it.  Works really well, although I still prefer SyncTerm.

http://www.sanctumbbs.com

(I need to update the Sanctum site's appearance.  Now that the PIF homepage looks so professional, it really makes the Sanctum site look primitive)
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

Offline abner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 5
  • abner
    • Lost in the Details
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
Cool, I will have to check this out

Offline Kailef

• PIF Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 8
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
It's pretty fun, I think.  :-)  Although, definitely not what the modern crowd would call "state of the art", hee hee...
Guildmaster

Creator

Warlord

Guildmaster

ONBE

Music Composer

SysOp
PIF Silvergate

Epic Rock Radio

House Jurai

The Poets' Circle

Recipient

Shroud of the Avatar

Sanctum II BBS

PIF Silvergate  |  Public Boards  |  PIF Chat  |  Kailef's side project: Sanctum II BBS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx