gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar to be PIF Silvergate's primary game!  Visit their website and donate to the cause to get early beta access!

gfx gfx
gfx
57733 Posts in 5481 Topics by 438 Members - Latest Member: Redbeard December 14, 2018, 12:15:05 AM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  WoW Boards  |  WoW Help  |  Shaman (Moderators: Shanni, Arkana, Killraven)  |  Paragon, Purification and You.
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Paragon, Purification and You.  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Gilius

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
Paragon, Purification and You.
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:37:59 AM »
Having enjoyed a lot of raiding time healing on a priest in Wrath, my goal with Gilius was to try my hand at shammy healing once I reached 85. I did switch over for a bit and healed Normal runs, but found that even after consulting "recommended" rotations, I wasn't satisfied with the healing numbers I was generating. After a brief search for shaman healing issues, I came across a doozy. There have been countless posts and counter-posts on the subject in various forums, but the short of it is:

Paragon, the #1 World-ranked guild, didn't use a single shaman in their world-first downing of Sinestra. When asked why, they gave a short explanation and concluded that Shamans were useless (Resto in particular). http://www.paragon.fi/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1575

Forum-dwellers used this as a platform for their requests to buff shammy healing, and Blizzard responded by hotfixing Purification.

We are also applying a hot-fix for Purification for the Restoration shaman passive from 10% to 25%. We think that shaman healing per second is not as competitive with other healers and while we hoped to bring down Holy priest and Holy paladins (in particular) in 4.0.6, which we did, shaman still appear to be behind. In this case, it is simply easier to buff Restoration shaman rather than nerf everyone else or re-balance the encounters.

In Addition Ė Restoration Druids and Restoration Shaman

We agree with the sentiment among some players that Restoration druids and Restoration shaman are lacking in the healing cooldown department. The shaman buff and Power Word: Shield adjustment above should bring all healers reasonably close in terms of throughput. The decision on who to bring then might end up being dictated by the strong cooldowns offered by paladins or priests. This isnít the kind of thing we can address via a hot-fix, but it is something we are looking at for the next major content patch.

So, my question to our existing resto shammys is ...have you noticed any difference? If so, has it been significant?

Offline Kodex

• Post Rank 1
Re: Paragon, Purification and You.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
YES! I have so much fun healing on my shaman now. If you do it right, you can use riptide, one of your shock spells (with the talent), unleash elements, and then greater healing wave. That combo right there is powerful, and if it crits... Let's just say I've had crits of upwards of 80k, with the ancestral spirit finishing em off for another 35k ;D

The healing boost is needed, but what we really lack is the ability to heal on the run. Most of our abilities are longer-cast, so learning to pre-cast at the right times is vital. All in all though, the shaman healing is getting much closer to what it should've already been.

Offline Gilius

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
Right, so after healing a few heroics I can say the changes did help. Even in pugs, things were fairly manageable aside from the occasion where a melee would get caught in overwhelming damage.  It doesn't feel quite as comfortable as priest healing, but that could be just a matter of getting used to it.

Offline Killraven

• Forum Moderator
  • Post Rank 5
  • String a bow and seek out the thrill of the hunt!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:29:12 AM »
Early on it did seem like I was struggling more than other healing classes.  I think the hot fix has helped, but I'm still not sure it puts resto Shaman on par with other healers.  Particularly with regard to hots and / or instant casting.  For example, being the healer on the platform with Rohash presents some challenges for a Shaman when his ultimate hits.  But it seems (although I've not healed this with my priest - not geared yet) disc priest and resto Druids have an easier time with this.

Offline Gilius

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:19 AM »
I recently pulled my old dranei priest out of storage, dusted off her Karazhan gear and jumped into some 5-man Wrath dungeons. Even the first run was a breeze healing compared to my experiences trying to heal as a shammy. Granted, I have a lot of experience with priests, having raid-healed on both alliance and horde. So that does lend to a little of the ease, but it still just feels like the healing process makes more sense as a priest.  On top of that, with shammy healing I was using quite a lot of mana. With the priest, it is rare that I get below 85% in any trash fight, or below 80% in any boss fight (so far).

All in all, I'm wondering if a resto shammy re-design might be more appropriate than just a boost to existing stats. I've seen the totems they plan to bring in for next patch, and it seems like they just add further complexity to what is already a clunky spec.  Just my 2c.

Offline Arrian

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • There's sure to be another!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »
Just a note - healing on a priest before level 80 (and I assume this is true for any toon) is just different nowadays with the changes they had to make to the 80-85 range.  The spells at low level just are nowhere near as mana intensive, for 80-85 the scaling factor is stupid and ridiculous.  There is just no comparing an 85 to an 80 from a mana perspective.

Snow
In blackest day or brightest night
Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda

Offline Gilius

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 1
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
That's a fair point. I guess I'll revisit this when I have the priest at 85 and see if the situation is different.

PIF Silvergate  |  WoW Boards  |  WoW Help  |  Shaman (Moderators: Shanni, Arkana, Killraven)  |  Paragon, Purification and You.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx