gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

World of Warcraft Classic has launched, and PIF Silvergate members are encouraged to join us on the Atiesh server for a blast from the past where we relive old adventures and meet new friends!

gfx gfx
gfx
57817 Posts in 5490 Topics by 451 Members - Latest Member: crabmilk November 28, 2020, 02:44:32 PM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  Starcraft Boards  |  Starcraft Chat  |  GPU Overheating Bug...
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: GPU Overheating Bug...  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Aglaeca

• Former PIF Member
  • Post Rank 4
  • "There is no secret ingredient!" - Mr. Ping
GPU Overheating Bug...
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:46:25 AM »
Well, it seems like my video card is one of the many affected by this confirmed Starcraft bug.  It just freaks out after a while and shuts down my system do to overheating when I play Starcraft II.  I have tried the variables.txt fixes, and they seem to have worked a little.  And my card doesn't overheat in any other game...  I can play other 3d games cranked up to max, and it doesn't even phase my system.  But Starcraft just pushes the GPU's to ridiculously high temps.  Hopefully they can push out a patch for the issue soon.

Offline Edgeburner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Beware the gnome
Re: GPU Overheating Bug...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »
You try opening the case and letting it breathe a bit?
Or potentially look at adding another fan case?

Offline Silverbranch

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 6
  • Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
Sorry to hear you're having that issue. Does it only affect specific brands of cards?

Shanni's Minion and personal GPS

Offline Aglaeca

• Former PIF Member
  • Post Rank 4
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
You try opening the case and letting it breathe a bit?
Or potentially look at adding another fan case?

I currently have 5 120mm fans running at maximum.  And the card I have has an integrated fan also that vents straight out the back of the case.  The case I have also has separate compartments for the power supply and the motherboard area so the heat from the power supply does not add to the heat generated from the motherboard.  Other games, even running at the highest graphics levels, have no issue running on my system.

Hopefully blizzard will release a patch that corrects the FPS issue that causes the overheating.

Offline Aglaeca

• Former PIF Member
  • Post Rank 4
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having that issue. Does it only affect specific brands of cards?

From that I have read, it affects both nvidia and ati chipsets.

Offline Edgeburner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Beware the gnome
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »
Does it have a /maxfps setting like wow does? 
I know my macbook out of the box wanted to run at about 75fps but it ran very hot.  After I pulled the FPS down to 30 it dropped the CPU temp by over 100 degrees...

Just an idea...

Offline Aglaeca

• Former PIF Member
  • Post Rank 4
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:21:28 AM »
Does it have a /maxfps setting like wow does? 
I know my macbook out of the box wanted to run at about 75fps but it ran very hot.  After I pulled the FPS down to 30 it dropped the CPU temp by over 100 degrees...

Just an idea...

There are 2 options that can be put into the variables.txt file that seem to be helping some people cope with the issue.

frameratecapglue=xx
frameratecap=xx

Where xx is the fps that you want to lock the screen.  The frameratecapglue is for the menus and the other option is for the game itself.  I've tried both of these, and yes it has provided some relief.  But my system still shuts down with GPU overheating messages.

Offline Areydan

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
I lost one card to this bug, and am starting to lose another it seems even after implementing the fix.

Guess my only recourse now is to start saving to build a new system with a better cooling solution.

Offline Aglaeca

• Former PIF Member
  • Post Rank 4
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
I lost one card to this bug, and am starting to lose another it seems even after implementing the fix.

Guess my only recourse now is to start saving to build a new system with a better cooling solution.

I finished the single player campaign on the easiest level, but I'd like to go back through at the harder levels.  But with this bug in play...  I am not going to take a chance frying my graphics card.

I'd like to build myself a newer system, but I have a lot of other things on the table now.  So a new system will have to wait.  Maybe when I do have the money, I'll invest in a water cooling system for my next computer.  It's sad to have to put in a water cooling system in order to play a single game though.    :-\

Offline Silverbranch

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 6
  • Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
Well, you shouldn't need a water cooling system, just a card that isn't affected by it. Mine works fine and it's just an Nvidia GTS250 1 gig card. Settings are all cranked and no issues.

Shanni's Minion and personal GPS

PIF Silvergate  |  Starcraft Boards  |  Starcraft Chat  |  GPU Overheating Bug...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx