gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

World of Warcraft Classic has launched, and PIF Silvergate members are encouraged to join us on the Atiesh server for a blast from the past where we relive old adventures and meet new friends!

gfx gfx
gfx
57817 Posts in 5490 Topics by 451 Members - Latest Member: crabmilk November 27, 2020, 09:37:12 AM
gfx* Home | Forum | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
PIF Silvergate  |  WoW Boards  |  WoW Help  |  I need Tanking pointers!!
gfx
gfxgfx

* PIF Voice Chat

* Your Stats

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I need Tanking pointers!!  (Read 2347 times)

Offline p03t

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 4
  • Uber Farmer
I need Tanking pointers!!
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:35:40 AM »
Good evening ladies & gentlemen,
Parable is in need of some tips, advice and pointers on the art of tanking, he seems to have forgotten.
It seems he cannot hold aggro on more then one mob at a time, and have been repeattedly ridiculed for poor tanking.  The tanking skill was not put into question until I started doing 5 mans, and if it is apparent in raids, it was not brought to my attention.

His plan of attack is as follows, enrage, run in rage building thing, thunderclap, cleave, shockwave, demoralizing shout, taunt, then the spamming of said 7 as the cooldowns allow, which is about one cycle before Taco or ED!!!, mostly Taco,  pull one of the many off me, then I run around, much like headless chickens do, trying to regain aggro before anybody dies.

At which point is Parable failing?

-p037
Poet~Fable~Jamrock~Parable

Offline Arkana

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 5
  • Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!
Re: I need Tanking pointers!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »
I have healed for Parable a few times this week.  It has been a challenge. 

That said, Poet has wonderful work ethic and I will healz for him again anytime.

Thanks for working on this Poet!
Arkana 80 Priest - Enchant/Tailor
Yupik 80 Shaman - Miner/Herbs
Zerstort 80 Mage - Inscription/Alchemy
Rattler 70 Warrior - (retired)
[Ed]

Offline Shanni

• Assistant Guildmaster
  • Post Rank 6
  • Fear me! I will eat your carrots! Rawr!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:17:59 AM »

At which point is Parable failing?

Ooh... so many places to take this... so little time.

<3   :)

Flamethrowers are proof that somewhere, sometime, someone thought to themselves "You see those people over there? I sure would like to set them on fire, I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Offline p03t

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 4
  • Uber Farmer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
Shoosh you!!
I am looking for 'constructive' critisizem...critisize-isms...gah...

:)

Offline Edgeburner

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 3
  • Beware the gnome
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:02:35 AM »
When I get home I'll give you some points Poet...

Edgey

Offline Jason

• Honorary PIF Member
  • Post Rank 2
  • Tehm whos bare durids, can B 4 tank
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »
NEVER FEAR UZUKI'S HERE
*Flies in with a red cape and tight superhero pants*

Personally I think warrior AoE tanking is in a sad state right now.  It's really hard to keep AoE threat compared to all the other classes... I think.

First off some needed talents for AoE tanking that help a lot:
Deep Wounds: http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=12867 - This is going to be a pain to get, but on thunder clap crits it adds a dot for more threat.
Improved Thunderclap: http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=12666 - A no brainer, but depending on your spec you might have to give up some shield specialization.
Incite: http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=50687 - Increase crit chance of Thunderclap and Cleave, and with deep wounds will give a lot of threat.
Damage Shield: http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=58874 - when you get hit you gain more aggro. Helps if you are not focusing on a mob.

I think the only one you don't have is the Deep Wounds so I would get that as soon as you can.  If you want the spec I use check out cakie!
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Icecrown&n=Cakie
Most people only do 2/5 in shield specialization because of the state of blocking right now.  I think every little bit helps though.  Other than that it's a very generic spec.

The Prep:
Make sure you have Vigilance on the top AoE DPSer.  This should give you a boost over their threat.  Also if you do lose aggro on one mob you get free taunt!

Alright now the pull:
Step one: be sure to charge in.  The hope is to throw your DPS off guard so they take 1-2 seconds before they start AoE.  It sounds crazy but if you have seen me tank you know what I'm talking about.  It gives you a head start on the DPS, but also the healer.
Another reason for this is that it keeps your casters at range.  Most people don't really understand how this works but in melee range you get to pas the tank 110% before pulling aggro however at range you get 130% or 120%.  I forget which it is.
Also you can cast Heroic Throw while charging, works great for me!
First Move: Thunderclap.  Amazing AoE opener since it also gets the people behind you.
Second Move: Shockwave.  You will have to move the mobs to get this on off.  This is a frontal arc so make sure they all move in front of you, I normally take the Global Cooldown of ThunderClap to move away.

After this comes the hard part.
You should have 4-5 seconds before you can thunderclap at this point.  Cleave is great if it's glyphed otherwise it's only meh.  It takes so much rage you will still be raged starved with that many mobs on you.
This is where the tab fun comes in.  I try to Shield Slam my main target, then move to the next revenge, then move to the next and concussion blow.  The Shield Slam on the main target is important so you can keep aggro over the people that are going single target.  Then Thunder Clap should be up so use that again.

At this point it really becomes "feeling".  You have to notice which mobs you are losing aggro on and Shield Slam them if they need it.  You have to notice the mobs that are getting away from you and taunt them.  Along with all this you have to know when Thunder Clap and Shockwave are ready to use, which is actually harder than it sounds.  Watching all the mobs means your not watching you cooldowns.
Uzuki 80 burr
Cakie 70 warrior DPS... speced prot
Warc 70 "clear out Uzuki's/Cakie's bags" spec

Offline p03t

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 4
  • Uber Farmer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »

...and you know what happen to ED!! when he gets bored, he turns into The Mushen!!

Offline p03t

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 4
  • Uber Farmer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

...and you know what happen to ED!! when he gets bored, he turns into The Mushen!!

Offline p03t

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 4
  • Uber Farmer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
...gah...

Offline Thalex

• PIF Member
  • Post Rank 2
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but as far as glyphs go, its quite helpful to have the following:

Glyph of Revenge: Each revenge gives you a free Heroic Strike. Quite handy during the tab-targeting aggro management.  http://thottbot.com/i43424
Glyph of Sunder Armor: Sunder Armor (and Devastate) is applied to two targets, much like Maul's glyph hitting two targets, but without (as far as I know) doing damage to both.  http://thottbot.com/i43427
Glyph of Resonating Power: Reduces the rage cost of Thunder Clap by 5. Very helpful, especially when combined w/ the reduced rage TC talent.  http://thottbot.com/i43430

And as far as minor glyphs go, Glyph of Thunder Clap is slightly nifty, adding 2 yards to the radius of Thunder Clap.  http://thottbot.com/i43399

The rotations that have already been suggested are not too far off what I already do, so no worries there. Hopefully these glyphs will help turn the tide in your favor, if you don't already have them.

Thalex
Chertygirl - 80 mage
Thalex - 80 druid
Warrbird - 80 warrior (currently Horde side)
Bladebird - 80 rogue
Holybird - 80 pally
Deathbird - 80 unholy dk of doom (and stuff)
Darkthalex - 80 warlock
Saidyn - 80 hunter
Onslot - 80 shammy
Aphrodytie - 80 priest

Offline AncientOne

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 7
  • WoW Division Lead
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »
I tease Poet A LOT, I hope he knows is is all in fun. I think he is becoming a good tank. I am very pleased to see that he is asking for help. I wish I knew how to help you poet. All I know is that I have tried tanking on my DK and am not cutout for it. It is a lot more difficult than most of us know.

Don't Worry Poet, keep working at it and you will be fine. Even though I still don't want to heal you.

I am lost. I have gone to look for myself. If I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Offline Jason

• Honorary PIF Member
  • Post Rank 2
  • Tehm whos bare durids, can B 4 tank
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
I don't know so much about other warriors, but I find I'm normally rage starved on single target.  I glyphed up to maximize my rage.  In AoE situations I can normally pop blood rage and shield block and be fine.  (Remember your blocks give you rage!) 
This is what I use:

(Major) Heroic Strike - When you crit with Heroic Strike it gives you more rage. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43418
(Major) Revenge - Free Heroic Strikes, works awesome with the Heroic Strike glyph.  A revenge followed by heroic crit will actually give you rage!! http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43424
(Major) Blocking - I highly highly recommend all warriors get this one.  It increases you block value by 10% after shield blocking.  This not only adds mitigation but also increases threat / damage done by shield block.
Also of course increase the crit damage of shield slam, and who doesn't love seeing 7k crits with shield slam when shield block is up!!

For the glyph of Sunder Armor, it does not apply damage but indeed it does apply threat.
Uzuki 80 burr
Cakie 70 warrior DPS... speced prot
Warc 70 "clear out Uzuki's/Cakie's bags" spec

Offline p03t

• PIF Officer
  • Post Rank 4
  • Uber Farmer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions & tips.
Edge & I ran thru that place, with those guys, and gave real time advise. 
Thanks to the Edge, the Taco, the Squeek and last, the A one-ness.
Thanks to the Furry meat sheilds, Jason & Thalex!!

-p037

PIF Silvergate  |  WoW Boards  |  WoW Help  |  I need Tanking pointers!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx